Helping youth understand “What’s So Cool About Manufacturing.”
About the Video Contest
“What’s So Cool About Manufacturing” Video Contest is a terrific way for students to learn about the manufacturing industry and careers. Manufacturing is the backbone of Minnesota’s economy, contributing $43.7 billion to the state economy, and paying an average salary of $59,000. The industry is a vital part of the West Central Minnesota economy, but many of the region’s youth are unaware of the many rewarding career opportunities within manufacturing.
The video contest helps high school students in West Central Minnesota explore manufacturing careers and learn about manufacturing companies in the region. Judges select three winning videos each year. Winning teams receive cash for their school as well as cash for each team member. Teams also have a chance to win the “Viewer’s “Choice Award,” if their video receives the most online votes from the public. (If you are from a different region of the state and would like to launch a “What’s So Cool About Manufacturing” Video Contest in your region, contact us for assistance.)
Why enter the video contest?
Participating in the contest has many benefits. In addition to the chance to win cash awards and recognition, the video contest is a terrific way for students to learn about manufacturing, while they strengthen their teamwork skills, critical thinking ability, project management, and exercise creativity.
Here’s what students get for participating in the video contest:
- Knowledge of manufacturing careers
- Knowledge of manufacturing businesses in the region
- Opportunity to demonstrate leadership and creativity
- Opportunity to develop a relationship with a local manufacturer
- A chance to win one of three cash prizes for their school (up to $1,500)
- A chance to win an individual cash prize (up to $100 per student)
- A chance to win the Viewer’s Choice Award ($750 prize for school and $50 per student)
- A chance to be honored at the awards banquet
- Plus, much, much more!
There is no fee for participating. To enter, simply fill out and submit the form below.
Video Contest Registration Form
Thank you to our 2018 sponsors: Tri-State Manufacturers’ Association, Minnesota State Advanced Manufacturing Center of Excellence, and West Central Initiative.
You can watch the 2017 videos here.
You can watch the 2016 videos here.