Help Your Students Earn a College Scholarship.
Discover Manufacturing Career Opportunities
Beginning October 2017, Dream It. Do It. Minnesota launched the Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Digital Badge Pathway for students in grades 7-12. The pathway allows students to earn digital badges while they learn about manufacturing and embark on a variety of fun activities, including robotics competitions, summer camps, visiting college campuses, and touring manufacturing facilities. Students who earn the required minimum of 24 badges are eligible to apply for a 360 eTECH scholarship at the Minnesota State Advanced Manufacturing Center of Excellence college of their choice!
One of the most important aspects of the badge pathway is that it opens up a world of discovery, in which young minds can learn about the many career opportunities within advanced manufacturing.
Opportunities within the manufacturing industry are greater than ever before:
- Minnesota has more than 307,200 manufacturing careers statewide.
- Manufacturing contributes $43.7 billion to the state economy.
- The average manufacturing salary is around $59,000.
- Many top manufacturing brands are based in Minnesota, including Land O’ Lakes, General Mills, and Cargill.
What is a Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Digital Badge?
It is a digital representation of a student’s accomplishment, combined with a verifiable description of what he or she did to earn it. A digital badge is easy to share online, or in a digital backpack that students can share with friends, teachers, and even with future employers. These badges are “open badges.” Open Badges are verifiable, portable digital badges with embedded metadata about skills and achievements. They comply with the Open Badges Specification and are shareable across the web. Each Open Badge is associated with an image and information about the badge, its recipient, the issuer, and any supporting evidence.
What is the Value of a Digital Badge?
- It shows the world the activities, knowledge, and skills a student has demonstrated to earn a badge from Dream It. Do It. Minnesota, a verified issuer.
- It is easy for students to share their accomplishments on social media, in a digital backpack, or almost any other digital platform!
- A digital badge cannot be faked. Credentials are embedded inside—student name, what as done to earn the badge, who issued the badge (Dream It. Do It. Minnesota) and the issue date.
Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Badge Categories
There are six categories of badges:
- Igniter— This medal is awarded to individuals who earn a minimum of five Igniter badges. Earning these badges requires completion of Introduction to Manufacturing activities.
- Happy Camper— This medal is awarded to individuals who earn a minimum of two Happy Camper badges. Earning these badges requires participation in manufacturing related camps or lab experiences.
- Titan— This medal is awarded to individuals who earn a minimum of three Titan badges. These badges encourage teamwork and recognize participation and achievement in robotics team competitions.
- Adventurer— This medal is awarded to individuals who earn a minimum of three Adventurer badges. These badges encourage manufacturing career exploration and face-to-face interaction with manufacturers and manufacturing program faculty.
- Crackerjack— This medal is awarded to individuals who earn a minimum of six Crackerjack badges. These badges encourage manufacturing career exploration and creative application of manufacturing knowledge.
- Insider— This medal is awarded to individuals who earn a minimum of five Insider badges. Working on these badges will help you acquire manufacturing career success skills and on-the-job manufacturing experience.
Badge earners who earn all six of the medals listed above are eligible to apply for a 360 eTECH scholarship which can be used to earn the 16-credit Production Technologies certificate from 360 eTECH. This covers tuition, fees, books, and subscriptions and is valued at $4,000.
Additional scholarship requirements include: writing a short essay about advanced manufacturing; enrolling in a participating 360 eTECH college; and retaining a 2.0 or better grade point average. Five scholarships are currently available. The number of future scholarships is subject to change.
How Do Students Get Started?
Getting started is easy! Students just need to create a free account on our Credly site and to check out all the badges they can earn! There is never any cost to creating an account and all of the badges that students earn can be stored in their free account indefinitely. Students will have the ability to share the badges they earn any way they like! Badges can be shared on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or simply displayed in the Credly digital backpack. There are a total of 32 badges to pick from. Several badges can be earned through completion of activities in the Introduction to Manufacturing Teacher Guide. Badges can be earned in any order. Students can earn as many (or as few) as they want, but will need to earn a minimum number of badges within each category to earn a 360 eTECH scholarship.